FAB ACADEMY 2019 / 2019全球“智造”学术
The 10th edition of Fab Academy, the world’s first distributed class on digital fabrication, has been announced and admissions are now open!
Fablab O Shanghai in the College of Design & Innovation of Tongji University is one of the nodes that offer the program worldwide: enroll and experience life at China’s number one Design College’s Fablab!
The Fab Academy Diploma is a 5-month part-time learning experience where students plan and execute a new project each week. At Fab Academy you will learn how to envision, prototype and document your ideas through many hours of hands-on experience with digital fabrication tools.
The Fab Diploma is the result of the sum of Fab Academy Certificates. Progress towards the diploma is evaluated by a student’s acquired skills rather than time or credits. The Fab Academy is a fast paced, hands-on learning experience where students plan and execute a new project each week. Each individual documents their progress for each project, resulting in a personal portfolio of technical accomplishments.
Fab Academy is a distributed educational model providing a unique educational experience. Each Fab Lab that participates in the Fab Academy program is part of a global Fab Lab / Fab Academy network. These Fab Labs are Nodes that offer the Fab Academy program. Students view and participate in global lectures broadcasted every Wednesdays at 9:00 am – 12:00 pm EST. The lectures are recorded and available to students throughout the semester. In addition to the lectures, there are 2/3 lab days each week where students have access the digital fabrication equipment and personal help with projects. Fab Academy faculty, who are leaders in their respective fields, provide global video lectures, supervise academic content, and guide research. Hands-on instruction in the labs is provided by instructors who supervise and evaluate Certificates, develop and disseminate instructional material, and assist with projects.
The Fab Academy Program is directed by Neil Gershenfeld, director of the Center for Bits and Atoms at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and globally coordinated by Fab Lab Barcelona team.
Students of Fab Academy comes from various backgrounds: engineering, design or architecture, as well as biology, art, music, economics, management. No previous knowledge is required and every week a new subject will be introduced with a bottom-up approach.
The program will run for 19 weeks with a new subject introduced every wednesday: how to design for and use all the tools in the Fablab such as the laser cutter, the 3D printer and CNC machine; design, fabricate and program electronic devices, sensors, internet of the things (IoT) devices; make wearable objects, master techniques such as molding and casting and composites, create wooden furnitures and be able to document your work with an online portfolio learning how to code your own website with HTML and CSS.
- 计算机辅助设计 / Computer aided design
- 电脑控制切割 / Computer controlled cutting
- 电子产品生产 / Electronics production
- 3D扫描和打印 / 3D Scanning and printing
- 电子设计 / Electronics design
- 计算机控制加工 / Computer controlled machining
- 嵌入式编程 / Embedded programming
- 机械设计 / Mechanical design
- 机器设计 / Machine design
- 输入设备 / Input Devices
- 成型和铸造 / Molding and Casting
- 输出设备 / Output devices
- 复合材料 / Composites
- 网络和通信 / Networking and communications
- 接口和应用程序编程 / Interface and application programming
- 数字制造的应用和影响 / Applications and implications of digital fabrication
- 发明，知识产权和收入 / Invention, intellectual property and income
- 项目发展 / Project development
Fab学院是为了在Fab lab讲授动手能力而开发的，该实验室最初是麻省理工学院比特和原子中心的一个外展项目，现已发展成为一个全球超过500个实验室的网络。Fab学院的教学是基于麻省理工学院的流行快速成型课程，如何制作(几乎)任何东西而开始的，这都是由Neil Gershenfeld教授讲授的。
Fab Academy was developed to teach hands-on skills in fab labs, which began as an outreach project from MIT’s Center for Bits and Atoms, and has grown into a global network of more than 500 labs. Fab Academy instruction is based on MIT’s popular rapid-prototyping course How To Make (almost) Anything, both taught by Prof. Neil Gershenfeld.
The program takes place from mid January to late June.
- 每周，教授尼尔·格申菲尔德（Neil Gershenfeld）都会就话题进行全球性的演讲Every week, prof. Neil Gershenfeld holds a global lecture on a different topic.
Instructors in local labs provide hands-on activities on the topic, and offer their practical knowledge to help students develop the week’s assignment.
Students work on the assignment using lab materials, equipment and machines, immediately applying all the concepts covered in the global and local classes. All the materials are included in the tuition fees.
- 学生在Fab Academy档案馆的个人博客中记录他们的进度。
Students document their progress in a personal blog hosted in theFab Academy Archive.
In parallel to the weekly assignments, students work on a personal final project which will integrate mastery of all the skills learned during the course.
- 完成所有单元和最终项目任务的学生将通过全球评估流程，获得Fab Academy文凭。
Students who complete all modules and final project go through a global evaluation process that leads to the Fab Academy Diploma.
- A computer-controlled laser cutter, for press-fit assembly of 3D structures from 2D parts.
- A large (4’x8′) numerically-controlled milling machine, for making furniture (and larger) sized parts.
- A vinyl cutter, to produce printing masks, flexible circuits, and antennas.
- A desktop sized precision (micron resolution) milling machine to make three-dimensional molds and surface-mount circuit boards.
- A 3D Scanner and a 3D Printer
The time commitment is about 16+ hours a week at minimum, but could be far greater if the student is highly motivated, does not possess the background for a particular unit (or units) or just wants to really throw themselves into the program.
The Fab Academy Diploma will be issued by a distributed Global Evaluation Committee after satisfactorily completing the course of study in the Principles and Applications of Digital Fabrication. Individual certificates will also be issued for students successfully completing individual topics.
Many Fab Academy graduates improved their career opportunities after taking the program. There’s high demand in the job market for talented digital fabrication experts and fab lab managers, but the knowledge offered by the course can be applied to any profession requiring rapid prototyping. Many graduates also started their own businesses offering locally produced design objects, toys, training services and consulting.
Take a look at the opportunities available at http://jobs.fabeconomy.com as a reference for jobs coming from the Fab Lab Network.
FABO will provide scholarship after students graduated from global classes with job offers in various locations of FABO schools and institutes.
- 上海科技大学fablab实验室 / Fablab of Shanghai Tech University
- 同济黄浦设计创意中学 / Tongji Huangpu Design Creative Middle School
- 苏州领科海外教育学校 / Ulink College of Suzhou Industrial Park
星期三（在线课程）/ Wednesday (Online):
晚上 10点 – 凌晨1点（1月 – 3月）/ 22:00-1:00 (Jan. – Mar.)
晚上 9点 – 12点（3月 – 6月） / 21:00-24:00 (Mar. – Jun.)
星期四,（实践）/ Thursday (Practice):
具体时间待定 / Time to be Determined
全英语教学 / English
Fab Academy Diploma costs 5000 (USD/EUR).
费用包含内容 / Included in the costs:
- All the basic course materials
- Fab Academy档案库中的个人空间，可以终身使用和维护
- Personal space in Fab Academy Archive with lifetime access and maintenance
- 实时访问Fab Academy视频会议系统（MCU）和教职员工
- Live access to the Fab Academy Video Conferencing system (MCU) and faculty
- Access to all recorded lectures and reviews
- Use of the lab equipment and facilities
- Free access to the Annual FAB conference and diploma award ceremony (graduated students only)
- Free software licenses for selected Autodesk and Solidworks software packages during the course
- 终身成为Fab Academy校友组的成员
- Lifetime membership to the Fab Academy Alumni group
To contact Fab Academy global coordination: firstname.lastname@example.org
If your questions are related with admissions to the Fab Academy: email@example.com
Deadline for submission of application is December 25, 2018
Please note that the program will run only if the minimum number of students is reached. Applying students will be informed in advance if the number is not reached.